free web tracker Viral X – Page 1171 – soka sardar

Viral X

Darragh Foley insists Carlow players ‘let down time and again’ after Shane Curran cited ‘ongoing issues’ following exit

DARRAGH FOLEY has defended his former team-mates in the wake of Carlow chief Shane Curran’s resignation.

Ex-Roscommon keeper ‘Cake’ was only appointed last September, but vacated the hotseat on Wednesday, just 11 days out from the Leinster SFC clash with Meath.

Carlow manager Shane Curran at a football match.
Shane Curran stepped down as Carlow manager on Wednesday
Tyler Miller/Sportsfile
Darragh Foley of Carlow at the Tailteann Cup 2024 launch.
Darragh Foley has spoken out in defence of the players
Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile

In a statement, the outgoing management cited ‘ongoing issues with certain players, which were further compounded by the failure of several squad members to return home with the team after last weekend’s NFL game in London’.

But Carlow great Foley fought the panel’s corner when responding to a social media post referencing a recent interview with Niall Carew, in which the ex-Carlow gaffer said he was ‘putting out fires every week with players’ during his tenure.

The county’s all-time leading scorer, who retired in November, wrote: “Managers always blame players for their failings so they can pick up a job somewhere else.

“The current group of Carlow players have been let down time and time again. I’m delighted to see them make a stand and not accept poor standards anymore.

“Nine players and a coach that works with Carlow GAA left the outgoing set-up over the last few weeks. Onwards and upwards hopefully now.”

Carlow finished fourth in Division 4.

But rumours of discontent had emerged locally after coach James Clarke was one of several members of the camp who opted to step away.

Speaking to the Carlow Nationalist earlier this month, Curran said: “When you’re committing to the group, you’re committing to the group, not just yourself. That’s the bottom line.

“Players have to understand they’re part of a wider community when they’re in that group. If they’re not prepared to abide by those principles they have to decide to move on.”

Carlow GAA bosses are scrambling to source an interim management team to take charge for the meeting with the Royals at Páirc Tailteann on Sunday week.

Current Under-20 manager Simon Rea is prepared to fill the vacancy.

He said: “I’m willing to help Carlow GAA in whatever way I can.

“I don’t know the full context behind why Shane left, but it’s not good for Carlow — bottom line.”

Read More »

League of Ireland needs financial support from the government now – Irish football can’t afford more years of spoofing

NO one likes a spoofer.

And that is why most throw their eyes to heaven when they hear the Government is winning the battle over housing supply.

Sullivan & Lambe Park before a soccer match.
A general view of Sullivan & Lambe Park before the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division match between Drogheda United and Shamrock Rovers
Ben McShane/Sportsfile

Everyone either knows from personal experience that finding a place of your own has never been more challenging or knows someone who has struggled to do so.

The FAI used to be fantastic at that sort of spoofing too.

I can still remember a ridiculous situation in 2009 when the FAI went into an Oireachtas joint committee and showed them Drogheda United’s ground as an example of improvements being made.

Yes, Drogheda United! A venue that an estate agent might describe as a “period building and fixer- upper’s dream”. But the response among politicians was to talk about Thierry Henry.

Since then, the FAI have become better at telling it like it is.

Drogheda’s Sullivan and Lambe Park was used in the Facilities Investment Strategy in 2022 as an example of why funding, and lots of it, was required.

And academy chief Will Clarke’s presentation to politicians in Leinster House last year laid out how the future success of the national team requires funding now.

But Chief Football Officer Marc Canham seemed reluctant to call his proposal to bring players in during school holidays to train under FAI coaches a “stopgap”.

He said it would offer a “short- to medium-term” solution instead.

But if it looks like a stopgap and quacks like a stopgap, it probably is a stopgap.

That is unless it does not look like a stopgap. When there is no Government funding for the future guaranteed yet, who knows?

After all, the income levy introduced in 2009 was due to be a short-term one before it became the Universal Social Charge.

Its abolition is now included in someone’s manifesto during every election campaign.

LOI clubs rejected Canham’s proposal anyway, but the FAI Chief Football Officer believes it is just the start of a negotiation.

Clubs saw it as a poorly conceived plan. Many of the best players go on trials abroad during holidays and others join their first teams for training.

But the biggest concern was how slowly the wheels of bureaucracy turn to get the vital funding.

YEARS & YEARS

The FAI will meet Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media Patrick O’Donovan and his Minister of State Charlie McConalogue next week.

But it is almost four years since Taoiseach Micheál Martin told Off the Ball that more funding was needed for League of Ireland academies. His and McConalogue’s party Fianna Fáil even included it in their election manifesto, though Government formation talks watered it down to “exploring” it.

That was a step further than the FAI has got but there remains frustration at how slowly things are moving.

There have also been own goals.

The FAI missed the application deadline for the €5.4billion Brexit Adjustment Reserve Fund — a “missed opportunity” was how Canham put it last year.

And it is unlikely next week’s meeting will end with the tap being turned back on.

After all, a Government funding audit into academies is underway.

Given FAI Connect has a full database of players, facilities were audited in 2022 and Clarke’s presentation highlighted staff and contact hours, hopefully it is a quick process.

But it is also necessary to win over politicians who do not need long memories to know football is not to be trusted.

And it is not only the ‘old’ FAI.

Last year, they even redacted their address during that comical Oireachtas hearing over former CEO Jonathan Hill’s holiday pay.

Minister O’Donovan, who was over the OPW, has also made a virtue of watching the pennies in his new role as he looked into the Arts Council and its spending.

But he also knows how sport is about funding. This past week, I have got three emails about his announcements.

When the controversy about John Delaney was just two weeks old in 2019, he declared him to be a “great man to support the clubs”.

Irish football needs the State to do just that now.

Read More »

Predators 3-round 2025 NHL Mock Draft after playoff elimination

The Nashville Predators have had a dreadful season in 2024-25. After spending big in NHL Free Agency, this team expected to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs. However, the Predators turn their attention to the 2025 NHL Draft. Nashville lost to the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night. With this loss, Nashville is officially eliminated from […]

The post Predators 3-round 2025 NHL Mock Draft after playoff elimination appeared first on ClutchPoints.

Read More »

Braves’ 3 most surprising Opening Day roster decisions

Opening Day could have gone better for the Atlanta Braves, who lost to the San Diego Padres 7–4. The Braves held a 4–3 lead going into the seventh, thanks to an Austin Riley go-ahead homer in the top of the fourth inning. Then Atlanta’s bullpen surrendered four runs, starting with a 405-foot pinch-hit homer by […]

The post Braves’ 3 most surprising Opening Day roster decisions appeared first on ClutchPoints.

Read More »

LeBron James breaks silence on ‘horrible’ mistake vs. Bulls

LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers fell 119-117 to the 33-40 Chicago Bulls after surrendering a five-point lead in the final 12 seconds. The stunning collapse ended with Josh Giddey sinking a halfcourt buzzer-beater to seal the win. After the game, James acknowledged his role in the loss and took responsibility stating, “We put […]

The post LeBron James breaks silence on ‘horrible’ mistake vs. Bulls appeared first on ClutchPoints.

Read More »

Perfect trade Miami Dolphins must complete after 2025 NFL free agency frenzy

The Miami Dolphins have been among the NFL’s most aggressive teams in recent years. However, they’ve also learned the hard way that big spending and bold acquisitions don’t always translate into championships. In another eventful offseason, Miami must now turn its attention to the trade market to further refine its roster. The ideal move? Trading […]

The post Perfect trade Miami Dolphins must complete after 2025 NFL free agency frenzy appeared first on ClutchPoints.

Read More »

How Jackson Merrill made history for Padres not seen in 15 years vs. Braves

Jackson Merrill entered Opening Day with plenty of hype after a stellar rookie season, but the 21-year-old made sure to back it up with more than just talk. In front of a record crowd at Petco Park, Merrill delivered a historic performance, driving in four runs and helping power the San Diego Padres to a […]

The post How Jackson Merrill made history for Padres not seen in 15 years vs. Braves appeared first on ClutchPoints.

Read More »