free web tracker SPFL club to SCRAP their academy setup in shock move as youth players told they have no future this season – soka sardar

SPFL club to SCRAP their academy setup in shock move as youth players told they have no future this season

QUEEN’S PARK directors have made a clinical decision to SCRAP their academy set-up, SunSport understands.

It’s believed young players are now beginning to be informed there will be no future for them at the club beyond the end of this season, while coaches and other back-up staff are now fearing the worst.

The City Stadium, home of Queen's Park Football Club in Glasgow.
Kenny Ramsay

Queen’s Park City Stadium home[/caption]

Steven MacLean coaching during a soccer match.
Steven MacLean is in interim charge of the Spiders’ first team
Kenny Ramsay
Willie Haughey, Scottish entrepreneur and philanthropist, speaking at a podium.
Alamy

2JN5KW1 Willie Haughey Scottish Entrepreneur and philanthropist[/caption]

Other big decisions will be made in the months ahead as Spiders chiefs prepare for life without Willie Haughey from June 2026.

But, widespread talk of an immediate fall into administration is believed to be wide of the mark.

As revealed earlier by SunSport, businessman Haughey confirmed he will PULL his financial backing for the Championship strugglers.

He has, however, insisted he will leave the club in a stable footing.

Haughey, who was made a life peer in 2013, has been an integral figure at Queen’s Park in recent years.

His backing helped propel Scotland’s oldest club from amateur status to a full-time professional setup in 2020.

They were promoted to the Championship in 2022 and went on to enjoy a remarkable title challenge in the second tier in their first season in the division.

They reached the Premiership play-offs where they were defeated by Partick Thistle.

Away from on-field matters, 68-year old Haughey spent millions developing Lesser Hampden into the City Stadium and also oversaw a huge transformation of the Lochinch training facility.

But in a bombshell announcement, he confirmed to SunSport this morning that he will withdraw his financial support in just over a year’s time.


Haughey said: “My sponsorship of Queen’s Park will come to an end in June, 2026, when the current five-year agreement is due to finish.

“That gives the club 14-months to adjust and prepare.

“I am also wanting to make it clear that when I do leave Queen’s Park won’t have a penny of debt.”

His exit comes amid reports of him being unhappy with behind the scenes issues at the club but he wouldn’t be drawn on that.

After coming close to a stunning top flight promotion, the Spiders narrowly avoided the relegation play-off last season and have struggled again in the league this campaign.

Their Championship form has been disastrous following the remarkable 1-0 Scottish Cup win over Rangers at Ibrox in February.

Currently sitting seventh, they’re just four points clear of Hamilton who currently occupy the relegation play-off spot in ninth.

It’s been an especially tricky week with Sunday’s 5-0 SPFL Trusty Trophy Final defeat to Livingston followed by a league hammering against Airdrieonians by the same result last night.

Steven MacLean is in interim charge of first team affairs after Callum Davidson’s shock sacking last month.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news and transfers at the Scottish Sun football page

About admin