free web tracker Teen girl rushed to hospital after being struck by car in busy town as man, 60s, arrested on dangerous driving suspicion – soka sardar

Teen girl rushed to hospital after being struck by car in busy town as man, 60s, arrested on dangerous driving suspicion

A TEENAGE girl has been rushed to hospital after she was hit by a car in a busy Co Down town.

A man has since been arrested following the horror incident in the Frances Street area of Newtownards, Co Down.

A man aged in his 60s was arrested following the incident, which occurred at around 6pm on Tuesday.

A PSNI spokesperson said: “Officers along with colleagues from Northern Ireland Ambulance Service attended and a teenage girl was taken to hospital for treatment for her injuries.

“A man aged in his 60s was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving causing grievous bodily injury and breach of a road traffic signal.

“He remains in police custody at this time.

“Anyone who may have witnessed the collision or anyone with CCTV, dash-cam or other footage that could assist with enquiries is asked to contact police on 101 quoting reference 1337 01/04/25.”

Separately, the PSNI in Belfast are appealing to parents of young children after a teenager was hit on the head with a brick.

The incident occurred at around 10.20pm in the Broadway area of the city.

A 15-year-old girl was rushed to hospital following the assault but her injuries are said to be non-life-threatening.

A 15-year-old boy has been charged over the assault.

Chief Inspector Conway said: “We received a report at around 10″20pm on Tuesday, April 1 that a 15-year-old girl had been hit on the head by a brick while in the Broadway area of south Belfast.

“She was taken to hospital for treatment but, thankfully, her injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

“A 15-year-old boy has since been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

“He is expected to appear before Belfast Youth Court on Monday, 28th April.”

‘THIS HAS TO STOP’

Chief Inspector Conway said it is only through “sheer luck” that much more serious consequences did not occur for the young girl.

He said: “Young people have been gathering in the area each evening, behaving recklessly, dangerously and in some instances criminally with little regard for other members of the public and local residents.

“This behaviour has to stop before someone is hurt, or worse.

“We are in the area each evening, providing a visible policing presence and liaising with community representatives, but today I want to ask local parents – do you know where your children are, and who they are with?

“Speak to the young people in your life about the dangers of getting involved in this type of behaviour. Ultimately, they could end up with a criminal record which may impact their future employment and travel prospects.

“We understand the concerns of local residents and the wider public regarding this ongoing anti-social behaviour and are committed to continuing our work alongside partner agencies, local representatives and the community to address this issue.

“We all have a responsibility to help make where we live safer for everyone. Reporting crimes or incidents that impact on your quality of life helps focus our patrols where they are needed and take positive action. Ring us on 101, or 999 in an emergency. You can also report online at www.psni.police.uk/makeareport.

“Alternatively, information can be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.”

PSNI insignia on a brick wall.
Two teenagers have been left injured
Getty Images – Getty

About admin